Sunday, June 13, 2010

And the award for biggest wimp goes to...

Me.
It goes to me.
Why, you may ask? Well. Let me tell you...

As I expounded upon in my last post, I have recently become a Pampered Chef consultant. I'm really excited about this, and I want to dive right in and get started doing parties and cooking and having a great time, but I'm having difficulties. I can't even explain it! Let's take today:

I have been planning (since last week!) to go out on Saturday afternoon with an armful of catalogs and order forms, as well as my planner, and take orders and book shows. I didn't get to go out yesterday, because I ended up having to stay late at work, so I decided to go out today and do this. I got my catalogs and order forms together, donned my Pampered Chef apron, and grabbed my planner and one of my favorite cooking tools (to show), and I was ready to head out. I proceeded to rehearse with Bob what I was going to say, and answers to possible questions I might receive. I was ready to head out the door, and my goal was to go to at least 10 houses, or collect at least 10 orders.

I went next door, and I saw that my neighbors were busy out back; no prob, I thought; I would just come back by later. So I went to the house across the street and rang the doorbell. And waited. Mentally rehearsed what I would say. And waited.

No answer.

At this point, I should have gone on to the next house. What I did instead?

I turned tail and went back home. After only attempting to visit 2 houses.

I just started second-guessing myself, and got freaked out, and then thought it would be best to just go home. In short, I totally wimped out.

How am I going to succeed in this business? I'm reserved. I'm shy. EVEN AROUND PEOPLE I ALREADY KNOW. I feel like I've exhausted the people I know; the ones who are going to hold parties have either held them or have told me when they're going to hold them, and the ones who aren't interested have either told me, or my personal favorite, not said a thing. And I'm not one to press the issue.

I'm not a pushy salesperson. If I like something, or believe in a product, I'll tell someone about it; but I don't ever want to feel like or have them feel like I'm pushing it down their throat.

I know I'm essentially just complaining that this isn't coming easy to me; but I wish I didn't feel so intimidated by self-promotion and prospecting. I just feel... inadequate. But I'm sure I'll get over it.

No comments:

Post a Comment